Monday, April 25, 2011

where the rooms are a collection of our lives

class tonight was lovely.
we danced to a song
about home.

if you know me at all,
you know this is a concept that fascinates me.

if you pay attention to life and art all around you,
you'd notice there are countless
poems,
movies,
songs,
paintings,
sonnets,
stories,
works of art of any kind
that are about the concept of home.

it is universal.
from the beginning of time,
to today,
and into the future...
into forever....
people have always been longing for home.

everyone. everywhere. 
we all just want to go home.

so
in honor of this stunningly beautiful song,
let's unfurl this carpet we know all too well
and talk about
HOME.

“Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration.”

- Charles Dickens



i love my home.
i cannot wait for my future home.
with my husband.
and my children.

a home,
my home:

made of walls and beams.
stairs that lead to the place where we rest our heads.
windows that let light break through them.
food in our pantry.
hallways lined with pictures of the faces we adore.
clothes swaying from the clothesline outside.
bread in the oven.
fresh flowers from our garden resting in a humble mason jar.
dogs lying on the floor, occasionally getting underfoot while we're doing laundry.
fresh grass in our very own lawn.
little footsteps running across creaky floorboards.

i get chills thinking about it.

the person who can promise these things to me,
and mean it,
will have my heart forever.

i want my home to be everything i hold dear.
after all,
you only really get ONE place to mold to your soul.
surround yourself with beauty,
with family,
with grace
with love.

dreaming about my home,
our home,
enthuses me beyond belief.

create a home.
put your heart into it.
it's where the heart is, you know.


{photo of frederick douglas's house. amazing i know.}

1 comment:

tell me what you're thinking